La Différence

La Différence

Everything food from my cosy kitchen

Welcome to my warm & cosy kitchen.

It's a place where I'm at my happiest devising, cooking and sharing the very best of my recipes with you all.

Pull up a chair, sit yourself down, make yourself at home and let's get cooking ♥

Monday, 6 August 2012

Courgette/Zucchini Pakoras with minted yoghurt dip

Courgette Pakoras with thick Greek Minted Yoghurt dip

I always seem to have a glut of Courgettes/Zucchini at this time of the year. I planted up six, two yellow and four green and they are just so prolific that I've been scouting high & low for some new recipes. I'm turning a few into a courgette & blueberry cake later, it's a bit of an experiment but hey ho, if you don't try you'll never know.

Now I love Indian food and any kind of Pakora is my kind of Pakora. I've grated up around 6 courgettes for this recipe. Every last drop of water needs to be squeezed out of them otherwise a soggy greasy mess will ensue. If you try this yourself then please leave the courgettes to one side even when you think you can't possibly get any more water out. 5 minutes later you'll find you can.

Okay here we go.

5/6 medium sized courgettes/zucchini coarsely grated by hand* placed into a sieve and 1 tsp of salt sprinkled over then mixed in. Place over a bowl and leave for a least 1 hour. Rinse under the tap and keep squeezing until absolutely no more water comes out.
4 tbsp Gram (Chick Pea) Flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs separated, lightly whisk the whites just before you fold in
1 large red chilli finely chopped you can leave the seeds in if you like it hot
2 tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro (if you don't like coriander I'd recommend half parsley, half mint)
2 spring onions/scallions finely sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp Black Onion (Kalongi) seeds (Optional)
1½ tsp salt
2 heaped tsps pre-prepared curry powder (I used Sharwoods medium Madras) or you can make your own favourite blend.
black pepper to taste
around 1½" of sunflower/veg oil place in the bottom of a frying pan/skillet and heated to a medium-high heat
Sea salt flakes to sprinkle when cooked.

 * Grate the courgettes by hand, a processor seems to make them too wet for me

Place in a sieve over a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for at least one hour.

Rinse, then squeeze out every last drop of water

Add the curry, chilli, spring onion, coriander, seasoning, gram flour & baking powder and the egg yolks, beat the egg whites until stiff but still light and fold in. You should have a thick dropping consistancy, if it's way to thick then just add a drop of fizzy water to help to loosen everything up.

Heat the oil and test with a little of the mixture. It should bubble up straight away. Don't have the oil too hot, just a steady medium heat.
Place dessert spoonfuls in the hot oil about 6 at a time. Fry for just a 2 or 3 minutes a side until golden brown and crispy. Drain onto kitchen towel
Sprinkle over a touch of sea salt.
These are best served hot, but they can be reheated in a hot oven for around 5 minutes. They also freeze well if you don't plan to use them straight away. Defrost and bake in a hot oven for around 8 minutes.

For the minted yoghurt

½ tub of Thick Greek Yoghurt (I used Total) 2%
2 tps concentrated Mint without the vinegar or 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
1 crushed clove of garlic
a little seasoning

Just mix everything together and it's ready to go.


  1. This looks incredible! Thanks for sharing Dor!

  2. Hello my friend, you are featured on this weeks Manic Monday :)

  3. Awww, Thanks so much Sonali & Bobbi you're so kind xxx

  4. Just made these and they were lovely! Thank you for sharing x

  5. Putting these on my 'to do list' straight away . Thanks for sharing Dor. Yx

  6. I need to make these for my boys! They are gorgeous, sweet friend! <3


I love sharing my recipes with you all...please feel free to comment's great to get some feedback ♥