La Différence

La Différence
A passion for food

Sunday 1 March 2015

Bara Brith aka Welsh Tea Bread Low Low fat

          Bara Brith...Welsh Tea Bread...the  cake version




I live in Cheshire UK which borders one of my favourite & one of the most beautiful places in the world...North Wales...I love the culture and adore the simple food using the best local or store cupboard ingredients. This recipe is so very similar, well almost the same as  to the Irish 'Brack' which was my  Irish Dad's favourite bake. As it starts to stale ... just toast it as you would bread... it's delicious for breakfast or afternoon tea either way.
     
If you like fruited cakes that are not heavy in fats then this could be the one for you. The moistness of the cake comes from pre-soaking the fruit overnight in strong hot tea. It keeps it so very moist fo a day or two... on keeping add a little spead of butter or it's delicious toasted.   

ps I have the yeasted version on this blog too 

For  the recipe:-  if you are baking in cups & spoons please follow my conversion charts available on this blog   Easy Conversion Charts


Ingredients

175g /6oz Sultanas or raisins
175g /6oz currants
110g   4oz brown sugar ( I used soft brown muscavado)
300ml or 10 fl oz of really hot strong tea
275g/  10 oz self raising flour
a good grating of nutmeg
½tsp cinnamon 
½tsp sea salt 
one large beaten egg 

the night before you bake ....soak the sultanas, currants and sugar in the hot tea. If you're in a hurry...put the fruit and tea in a saucepan...bring it to the boil...then leave until it cools... it's ok to go if it's at blood temp. 

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment

On the day,

Heat the oven to 150c/300f/gas mark 2

Sieve together the flour, spices and salt

Add the fruit and the egg,  mix to combine

Pour into the prepared tin 

Bake for around 1 hour and 15 mins...insert a skewer.. if it comes out clean it's baked...if not leave fo a little while until it's done

Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn out onto a cooling tray.

It's ready to slice when completely cooled or better still ... the day after baking.


   






16 comments:

  1. I used to make this a lot when my daughter was little. Lost the recipe a long time ago though, so it's really nice to come across this one - makes me want to bake it again! I do remember the recipe I had, said to brush warmed honey over the top of the loaf, once it was out of the oven. Also, I quite often used Earl Grey tea to soak the fruit in, which gave it a lovely flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of Earl Gray tea Roseleanor...I bet it adds such a lovely flavour to the cake

      Delete
  2. Can you bake this in your bread maker? I would imagine you would use the quick breads setting? But what order do the ingredients need to go in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a breadmaker so I'm not at all sure how you would go about making it... sorry I can't be of any help this time x

      Delete
  3. Can you bake this in your bread maker? I would imagine you would use the quick breads setting? But what order do the ingredients need to go in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish you shipped, my luv! You just make the most amazing creations. And, I know this cake stays moist and delicious for days!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wish you lived closer Ally, couldn't we have a ball ♥

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if I've had this specifically but it sounds like a few things I had as a child (grew up in Scotland) so I can imagine it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's light and delicious Caroline I'm sure you'd love it

      Delete
  6. I'll take a slice with cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks phenomenal, Doreen! I love the fact that no butter or oil is included in the cake! Will definitely be on my to do list!Pinning to try later. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hadia, it's such an easy go to recipe that takes no time at all to prepare♥

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! This looks sooo good, I want some right now! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Deanna, I wish I could share a slice or two with you over coffee ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you drain the raisins and currants before adding them or include the tea that hasn’t been soaked up?

    ReplyDelete

I love sharing my recipes with you all...please feel free to comment ..it's great to get some feedback ♥